Growing Up Knowing partners with community and faith-based organizations to host four nights of education in safe, trusting environments with young teens and their parents or guardians. We work to arm the participants with the knowledge and skills they need to make informed decisions about responsible sexual behavior.
Growing Up Knowing trains staff at the partner organization or provides trained facilitators to implement the program. The evidence-based curriculum focuses on:
- Reproduction and sexually transmitted infections (STI) facts
- Consequences of risky sexual behavior
- Pregnancy prevention (including abstinence and contraceptives)
- Assertive, effective communication skills and affirmative consent
- Problem-solving, decision-making, and resisting peer pressure
Have you already participated in The ‘Tween Talk? Join the online community where you can connect with other parents, ask questions, and seek support. Click here to join the Facebook group!
Did You Know...
54% of parents who participate in this program were teen parents themselves who are trying to stop the cycle in their own families.
After engaging in the program, 87% of students along with 100% of parents, indicate they feel more comfortable talking to each other about their sexual health and making responsible choices.
“This was our third Growing Up Knowing session. Last week, I was a little surprised by some of the content but I’m glad these sessions are teaching me how to have the necessary conversations with my daughter. This program is outstanding! I really appreciate the way it’s organized. I’m glad the children and parents had their own sessions first and now we are meeting together. I love the way the material is written and presented, especially the terminology used in the sessions. I love the small group setting, learning from the other parents and seeing their interaction with their children. I love the little homework and being able to listen as well as emphasize personal values and expectations. The session last week was really good at helping us talk about relationships, self-esteem and personal views. I’m impressed by how much she’s learned about the body, STIs and diseases. The segue that the session tonight provided about risky behaviors is really important. We’ve had some uncomfortable, interesting, hilarious and deep conversations too as a result of the sessions.”
– Sebrina Higgins-Esters, mother of JohnAnna
Our Community and Faith Partners
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Mississippi
- Canton Unit
- Capitol Unit
- Sykes Unit
- Walker Unit
- Community Links, Inc
- East Mississippi Boys & Girls Club
- F.A.I.T.H. Prep Academy
- God’s Haven
- Gulf Coast Outreach and Leadership (G.O.A.L)
- Hinds Community College Disability Support Services
- H.Y.P.E.D. For CHANGE
- Jackson Youth for Christ
- Meridian Freedom Project
- New Horizon Church International
- Nfushion Metro
- On Purpose Life Coaching
- Operation Shoestring
- Poindexter Park After School Club
- Red Door Jackson
- Rosedale Freedom Project
- Springboard to Opportunities
- Stewpot Community Services
- The Diamond Project, Inc
- Upward Bound Ministries
- We2gether Creating Change
“Learning alongside other families made me feel more comfortable talking to my own parents about difficult subjects.”